The Sarasota School of Architecture, the group of designers who adapted the International Style to Florida’s west coast beginning in the 1940s, are well known for their houses and institutional buildings. But the Sarasota School’s commercial buildings receive much less attention. It’s understandable; many of the buildings look like any other commercial building constructed after World War II, and none is in pristine condition. But a few, particularly those designed by Victor Lundy, are one-of-a-kind.
655 Plaza de Santo Domingo, Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce (Pagoda Building), 1956. Victor Lundy
261 S. Orange Avenue (1960). William Rupp
318 S. US 301 (1949). Paul Rudolph.